The Denver Zine Fest is back and is going to be bigger and better than ever! Check out the incredible events of the weekend!
Bike-In Zine Reading: Friday, June 24
Friday, June 24 at 7pm
Cheesman Park, inside 11th Street entrance from the east side of the park
Look for the balloons!
Join us the night before the zine fest for an evening of zine readings. It starts at 7pm and will go until we run out of readers! Bonus if you ride your bike! BYO blanket, snacks and beverages. If you’re interested in reading from your zine, contact Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org
SPECIAL OFFER! Thrice has donated two tickets to their SOLD OUT SHOWat Summit Music Hall on Saturday, June 25 (so you’d have to miss the zine fest after-party). To win the pair of tickets, you can enter our raffle at $1 per ticket or get 10 tickets when you buy one of our brand new Denver Zine Fest pint glasses for $7.
This is a free, all-ages event!
* In the case of inclement weather, we’ll post updates on the Facebook event.
Denver Zine Fest: Saturday, June 25
Saturday, June 25 – 10am-6pm
Christ Church United Methodist, 690 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80206
This is a FREE all-ages event
EXHIBITORS: This year, we’ll be showcasing works from over 75 exhibitors, so don’t forget to bring your money to support these incredible zinesters and independent publishers.
WORKSHOPS: We’re excited to offer workshops at this year’s zine fest, starting at 10:30am and running until 5:30pm. Please see the descriptions below – you won’t want to miss them!
SCREENPRINTING: Create your own commemorative Denver Zine Fest t-shirt at our custom screenprinting station! We will have a limited supply of t-shirts available at the event, but we encourage you to bring a shirt of your own. Dark colored shirts work best. $5 donation encouraged.
DOCUMENTING THE ZINE FEST: There will be multiple disposable cameras floating around throughout the day. Share your perspective of the event through the lens of these cameras.
CONTRIBUTE TO THE DZF ZINE: Stop by the zine-making station to contribute a page to the Denver Zine Fest zine. We’ll have materials available at the Denver Zine Library’s table and will compile the fabulous contributions collected throughout the day. The zine will then be available at the Denver Zine Library!
ZINE RAFFLE: Attendees will have a chance to win zines donated by the amazing exhibitors. $1 per ticket or 5 for $3. Tickets will be drawn at 12:50pm, 2:50pm and 4:50pm. Must be present to win.
FOOD AND BEVERAGES: While there are some local places you can grab a bite, you won’t want to miss La Sirena Gitana‘s tacos, which will be in the main exhibitor hall (including gluten-free and vegan options). Coffee, soda, and snacks will also be available.
SOCIAL MEDIA: Tag us!
Workshops at the Denver Zine Fest
Down with the Brown: A Zinester’s Guide to Fighting Oppression
Facilitated by: Anna Vo, Anthony Cortes, Nia King, and Olivia Hunte
We will talk about our zine-making, challenges, triumphs, and attempts to visibilize or make space for POC in our work. The second half of the workshop will be an exploration and discussion with those present. We invite only those negatively affected by racism, and ask that the space be POC only.
Facilitated by Taylor and Jazzmyn Barbosa
Twin artists, Taylor and Jazzmyn Barbosa would like to invite you to a workshop exploring the wonderful world of Zine making. Comics like John Porcellino’s King Cat, Yumi Sakugawa’s There is No Right way to Meditate, and Noah Van Sciver’s Blammo originally sparked the twins’ interest and passion for zines. When they are not working on their art, they are napping, buying people’s used clothes, and watching Adam Sandler cinema. Their zine making workshop will cover mark-making, zine layouts, and various approaches to creating content. Workshoppers will have time to create their very own zine, as well as be provided with our complimentary take-away zine, How to Make a Zine! We look forward to seeing you there!
How To Make a Podcast
Facilitated by Jay Papandreas and Damian Burford
Two dudes from two Westword award winning podcast teach you how to make your own podcast in the spirit of DIY!
Hosted by Damian, Mostly Harmless is a Punk Rock podcast that started off as a zine! It includes In-depth interviews about life the universe and everything with your favorite punk rock musicians, indie artists and Alt-Country Heroes. Not to mention indie filmmakers, comic artists and more!
Jay Papandreas hosts Ask A Punk podcast. It is a show chronicling a scene with growing pains hosted by two guys with the same growing pains. What started as two guys complaining about aging out of punk has become a more critical chat with bands and critics about an expanding genre as it gets out of the basements and meets up with the digital age.
Drawing Mythological & Legendary Creatures
Facilitated by Jeremy Stoll
Participants of any age will learn about and practice the steps for researching and drawing your own take on mythological and legendary creatures from a comics creator and folklorist. Pencils and paper will be provided.
Facilitated by T, Olivia Hunte, and Gillian Brooke Kümm
Intersections, facilitated by the founders of Intersections Zine: Within the 45 min. workshop, we would like to create a space which allows for the examination of intersectionality and how it is reflected/presented within our zine. In addition to this facilitated discussion, individuals in attendance will have the opportunity to create art that reflects their intersecting identities. More specifically, using scraps from old magazines, attendees can create a collage that represents their intersections.
Facilitated by Billy the Bunny
- Creative Cover Design: This is an all-day event where zinesters try to come up with the best looking cover for an imaginary zine. Participants will be given a half-size piece of cardstock, will draw two random words out of a hat, and will then create the cover in any style they choose. Votes will be tallied at the end of the day.
- Speed Stapling: Contestants will use a long-arm stapler to staple within numbered circles drawn on three different sheets of paper. The staples must be placed completely within the line of the circle, and they must be stapled IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER. Disobeying this rule will lead to penalties. This is a timed event, the person with the fastest time, wins.
- Tag-Team Zine-Making: Two-person teams will be asked to collate, fold, and staple ten zines. The two people may divide up the work in any way they choose. The zines must have pages in their proper order, be stapled correctly, and appear distro-worthy. Sloppy craftsmanship will result in penalties. This is a timed event, the fastest time wins.
- Postal Scale Challenge: Individuals will take turns holding and feeling five separate packs of zines, then make guesses as to their weight. Once the contestants have been narrowed down to the top three, those three individuals will compete in one final postal scale challenge. The participant most able to accurately guess the weights of postal packages will win.
- Zine Trivia: Each individual competitor will complete a written quiz. Questions on the quiz will cover a variety of zine-related topics. After the quizzes have been collected and scored, the top three will compete in a live, head-to-head-to-head competition of zine trivia madness!
Zine Fest After Party: Saturday, June 25
Saturday, June 25 at 7pm
Ratio Beerworks, 2920 Larimer St, Denver, CO 80205
Can’t get enough? Ratio Beerworks is hosting our after-party, starting at 7pm. Grab a drink, bust a move on the dance floor, and tell your favorite zinesters how much you love their work.
Specials that you won’t want to miss:
- The Denver Zine Fest will receive $1 for every beer sold between 7-8pm!
- Our brand new pint glasses, unveiled the weekend of the zine fest, will be available for $7!
- Mostly Harmless Podcast will be interviewing zinesters and special guests!
This is a free, 21+ event!
Volunteer at the Denver Zine Fest
It’s not too late to get involved! Join us for a volunteer orientation on Monday, June 20 from 7-8pm at Rooster and Moon (955 Bannock St #100). If you can’t make it, fill out this short questionnaire to let us know your interests or e-mail us at email@example.com!
Our Fabulous Sponsors